This hearty, healthy, and delicious vegetarian bulgur chili is sure to convert even the most die-hard of meat lovers!
Vegetarian Bulgur Chili
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
- 2 jalapeños optional, minced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper optional
- 3/4 cup bulgur
- 1 can crushed tomatoes 28-ounce
- 1 can diced tomatoes 15 ounce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cans black beans 15-ounce, rinsed and drained
- Topping suggestions: shredded cheddar cheese sour cream, diced avocado, cilantro, minced jalapeños
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven or heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeños and cook until softened but not brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, cinnamon, and cayenne and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the bulgur, crushed tomatoes, diced tomatoes (with their juices), salt, and 2 cups of water. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat, cover, and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the black beans and continue to simmer, uncovered, until the bulgur is tender-chewy and the chili thickens slightly, 10 to 15 minutes more. Serve with toppings of choice.
Like all chilis, this one will thicken as it cools. To reheat it, just stir in a little water to loosen it up.