Use half the oil to pop the popcorn, and half to season it when it’s done. A tiny splash of truffle oil makes it extra fancy and extra addictive. I added tons and tons of this rosemary sea salt, which was a gift from my mother-in-law. If you are ever in these parts, you should check out Pure Mountain Olive Oil. It’s full of delicious things. But if you don’t happen to have any artisanal sea salt lying around, you can absolutely use regular kosher salt.
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2-3 fresh rosemary sprigs
- Heaping 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- 1/2 teaspoon truffle oil
- Flaky sea salt or kosher salt, to taste
- Combine the olive oil and rosemary in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat until the rosemary starts to sizzle. Remove from the heat and let cool. Discard the rosemary sprigs.
- Transfer 3 tablespoons of the rosemary-infused oil to a large pot with a lid. Add a few popcorn kernels, cover the pot, and place over medium-high heat. As soon as you hear them pop, add the remaining kernels and cover the pot again. Cook, shaking the pot occasionally, until the popping slows almost to a stop, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add half of the remaining rosemary-infused oil and the truffle oil. Season with several big pinches of salt. Cover the pot and give it a good shake to coat everything evenly. Taste the popcorn and add more rosemary-infused oil and salt as needed.