If you are reading this, it means that it is Sunday and I survived my trip to the DMV. As I write this post, it’s Friday morning, and I’m curled up on the cushioned bench seat in our kitchen. There is granola in the oven (recipe coming up!) and it’s pouring rain outside. I’m tired from the gym and full from breakfast and the absolute last thing on earth I want to do is go back outside, drive all the way to White Plains, and stand in line at the Department of Motor Vehicles.
However, my license expires in six days. And since we moved, I also need to change my address. I don’t really think the address part matters much (I moved apartments eight times in Brooklyn, so my license was never accurate), but…you really can’t drive around with an expired license. If you wait too long, they make you take your driver’s test over again! I failed three times before I passed when I was 16, and I really rather not revisit the experience.
What I want to do right now? Tell you about this incredible smoothie made with juicy blueberries, sweet beets, toasted coconut, and hemp seeds. Lately I’ve become completely obsessed with the bulk bins at Whole Foods. I love picking out new nuts and seeds to try. Most recently, I scooped up a bag of hemp seeds, and I’m loving them sprinkled on top of yogurt and smoothies. They are truly a powerhouse superfood, packed with protein, fiber, and essential fatty acids.
This smoothie is gluten-free and vegan, but it tastes so creamy and fruity you would swear your were drinking a blueberry milkshake. And the color! It’s such a gorgeous, vibrant shade of purple. I mean, don’t get me wrong, I ❤️ green smoothies, but sometimes you’ve got to jazz things up a little.
…And sometimes you’ve got to take a deep breath, suck it up, stop procrastinating, and get your butt to the DMV. ??
- 1/2 banana, peeled, frozen, and cut into chunks
- 3/4 cup blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small pre-cooked beet, diced (about 1/4 cup)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tablespoons raw gluten-free oats
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4-5 large ice cubes
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened coconut flakes, toasted
- 2 teaspoons hulled hemp seeds
- Combine the banana, blueberries, beet, almond milk, oats, vanilla, cinnamon, and ice in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a glass and top with the coconut and hemp seeds.