Happy weekend! This Saturday we have back-to-back toddler birthday parties. Wish us luck. I joked to a friend that Owen is going to have a cake hangover. What are you doing for Father’s Day? I’m giving Alex the morning to himself, and I’m planning to take Owen for a run in the jogging stroller. We’ll see how it goes. I used to love running with him when he was a baby (it was the only way I could get him to nap!) but now that he is older–and heavier–somehow I don’t think it will be quite so easy. In the afternoon we’re heading to a state park, where hopefully we’ll be able to go paddleboating.
Here are some fun and interesting things I found on the Internet this week:
Is “responsibly grown” the new organic?
What it’s like to be a mother of boys. I only have one child so far, but I definitely identified with this!
I’m pretty sure that if you are reading my little blog, you also read this slightly more popular one. Here is a great podcast with Deb Perelman. She doesn’t do much media, so I really enjoyed learning more about how she started her site.
Father’s Day dessert idea.
On to this week’s drink recipe! You must know by now that I’m a wee bit obsessed with green smoothies. Here is my latest creation. Zucchini bread, minus the guilt–and gluten!
- 1/2 large banana, peeled and frozen
- 1/2 cup diced zucchini
- 1 cup baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons gluten-free oats (or regular oats)
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground ginger
- 5 large ice cubes
- 1 teaspoon chopped toasted walnuts
- 1 teaspoon raisins
- Combine the banana, zucchini, spinach, oats, almond milk, maple syrup, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and ice in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large glass and top with the walnuts and raisins.