We just got back from a week of vacation on the South Shore of Rhode Island. We had such a great time at the beach, and Owen was obsessed with the carousel in Watch Hill (which happens to be a stone’s throw from Taylor Swift’s modest seaside retreat).
I actually managed to be pretty healthy this vacation. I mean, don’t get me wrong, there were dark and stormy cocktail hours, fried clam cakes (a Rhode Island specialty!), and, a chocolate Carvel ice cream cake that was purchased “for the kids” but when they all decided they wanted fudgsicles, the adults ate in its entirety.
But Alex and I only went to two restaurants the whole week (with Owen, it was just so much easier and more relaxing to cook at our rental house), and I ran four or five miles every morning along the shore. All in all, I feel like it was an indulgent week, but nothing too over-the-top.
Still, I think it’s always a good idea to be a little extra conscious after any vacation. You know, just to account for those Carvel calories and those sneaky handfuls of Cape Cod potato chips. So I’m trying to be really healthy this week.
One thing that’s definitely on the menu is this vegan broccoli Caesar salad slaw. I was inspired to develop this recipe because I am always stuck with leftover broccoli stalks (Owen only eats the florets) and I never know what to do with them.
This time, I shredded them up in the food processor and then tossed them with a lemon-spiked dressing made with Worcestershire sauce (Annie’s brand is vegan) and briny capers. Since no Caesar is complete without, I added big handfuls of homemade croutons.
This salad is a delicious light lunch on its own, but you could also pair it with grilled portobello mushrooms or a big bowl of Potato Leek Soup with Roasted Garlic.
- 2 cups stale bread cubes
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch of granulated garlic (optional)
- 2 bunches broccoli (4 stalks)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayonnaise (or regular mayonnaise)
- 2 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce (Annie's is vegan)
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 1 small clove garlic, minced
- To make the croutons, preheat the oven to 350°. Toss the bread cubes with the olive oil and a big pinch of salt and pepper. Sprinkle with a little bit of granulated garlic (if using). Spread the bread cubes on a baking sheet and bake until crisp and toasted, about 5 minutes.
- To make the salad, cut the heads from the broccoli stalks and set aside. Fit a food processor with the grating disc (the one with the little holes) and shred the broccoli stalks. Transfer to a large bowl. Coarsely chop 2 cups of broccoli florets and add them to the bowl with the shredded stalks. (Reserve remaining broccoli florets for another use.) Wipe out the food processor and fit it with the regular blade.
- To make the dressing, combine the olive oil, mayonnaise, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, capers, parsley, and garlic in the food processor and process until smooth.
- Pour the dressing over the salad and toss to coat evenly. Transfer to the refrigerator and chill for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to blend. Top with the croutons just before serving.