Fit more protein, calcium, and fresh fruit into your morning routine with these easy, healthy breakfast tacos slathered with honey whipped cottage cheese and piled high with fruit salad.
Last weekend Alex taught Owen the word ‘hangry.’ As of late, Owen has been refusing to eat breakfast, and then he inevitably has a meltdown around noon. It doesn’t matter what we offer him, from simple things like a hardboiled egg or a carton of yogurt, to homemade French toast or waffles with maple syrup. He might eat a bite or two of whatever we put in front of him, but it mostly remains untouched and ends up in the garbage.
In an effort to get him back on track, I’ve been dreaming up new and fun recipes to try and entice Owen to eat his most important meal of the day. First up are these fruit salad tacos with honey whipped cottage cheese.
Sweet, creamy, and loaded with a veritable rainbow of fresh fruits, how could he refuse?
I made these tacos over the weekend, but they are also totally doable on a weekday. It all starts with the honey whipped cottage cheese. Just throw some regular cottage cheese into a blender or food processor with a big drizzle of honey, a splash of vanilla, and a few gratings of orange zest and blend until it’s creamy, thick, and smooth.
Then slather it inside a tortilla and top with all the fruits your little heart desires. I used cantaloupe, kiwi, blueberries, and strawberries. A note: I diced my fruit pretty finely, like a chunky salsa. I mean we are making tacos, after all!
These fruit salad tacos are a really fun and festive kid-friendly breakfast. And (shhh!) they are also super healthy. They are refined sugar-free, and cottage cheese is loaded with calcium and protein. I wanted to use whole wheat tortillas but our supermarket was all out. If you can get your hands on them, definitely use them instead of the white flour kind.
- 2 cups cottage cheese
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup diced strawberries
- 1 cup diced cantaloupe
- 1 cup diced kiwi (about 2)
- 1 cup blueberries
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas, preferably whole wheat
- To make the honey whipped cottage cheese, combine the cottage cheese, honey, orange zest, and vanilla in a food processor and process until smooth. Transfer to a bowl. (Cottage cheese mixture can be made a few days ahead and stored in the fridge.)
- Combine the strawberries, cantaloupe, kiwi, and blueberries in a medium bowl. Working with one tortilla at a time, spread with a thick layer of the cottage cheese mixture and fill with about 1/2 cup fruit salad.