To quote Leo in Titanic, do you trust me?
Because I’m about to ask you to take a giant leap of faith and put a whole lot of pickles in your hummus.
I was obsessed with recreating those same flavors at home. The only trouble was, Israeli pickles aren’t exactly easy to come by. Undeterred, I decided to use regular old kosher dills in their place. And (yay!) they were a fantastic substitute. In fact, as I was testing this recipe, I kept wanting more. I started out with a modest 1/4 cup of chopped pickles blended right into the hummus. Then I added 1/4 cup more. And then I stirred in another 1/4 cup right at the end, for a little texture and crunch.
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup chopped dill pickles plus 2 tablespoons brine
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 garlic clove, chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Warm water, if needed
- Combine the chickpeas, 1/2 cup of the pickles, pickle brine, tahini, garlic, dill, lemon juice, and salt in a food processor and process until smooth (you may need to scrape down the sides with a spatula). With the motor running, slowly drizzle in the olive oil. If the hummus is too thick, add a little warm water, 1 tablespoon at a time, until it reaches the desired consistency. Transfer the hummus to a bowl and stir in the remaining 1/4 cup of pickles.
Kristen @ A Mind Full Mom says
Wow–so glad you tried this out. In my pickle loving opinion, it looks AWESOME!!
Liz @ I Heart Vegetables says
As someone who LOVES dill pickles, I Totally trust you, haha. This sounds awesome!
Jennifer A Stewart says
Totally bizarre, intriguing, and absolutely delicious looking! I love the dill pickles over the sweet any day!! This sounds awesome and I totally trust you that it is going to blow me away!
Sara @ Life's Little Sweets says
I am a huge fan of hummus and I love the flavors you have going on here, pinning this one!
I’m moody about pickles, but I think if they were in this hummus dip my mood would be nothing be positive! Looks great!
I think this sounds amazing!!! I LOVE dill pickles and I LOVE hummus – why not combine the too!! Genius! Definitely trying this!! Pinning!
Yes, I trust you! Mostly because I absolutely LOVE pickles, especially dill pickles, and think they taste awesome with just about anything! I’m most definitely giving this a try! 🙂
Tania @ COOKTORIA says
Dill Pickles in hummus? Wow! That sounds amazing!!! I must try it! Pinned and Yummed!
Omg I am such a pickle addict that I can’t wait to try this! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Wow, this looks super cool and awesomely delicious. What a beautiful way to make hummus
My fav dip..ur version looks awesome
I know this is an older post, but I just wanted to say this was SO FREAKING DELICIOUS. I made it on a Saturday afternoon, and it was all gone within 24 hours. I, too, forced it upon the dubious, and the dubious became believers. THANK YOU for this.
Lucy Baker says
Thanks Valerie! Comments like this make my day 🙂 I am a crazy pickle lover, so whenever I make this hummus it’s gone super fast, too!
I’m a hummus lover and cannot get enough chickpeas lately and am searching for all kinds of fun ways to use them. Above all I’m a pickle addict! You have made my day!!! Going home to make this after dinner!!!